Cooperative Projects with International Organizations for Technical Assistance to Developing Countries in Asia
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) will conduct the cooperative projects with The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), respectively as part of promoting the satellite technology utilization for developing countries in Asia.
Under these projects, in order to improve measures against floods in Bangladesh, Vietnam, Philippines and Pakistan, we obtain data of rain precipitation in upper river basins using the Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) satellite. And we create elevation information of land surface to understand pathways of rainwater into river and overflow water from river using observation data of Advanced Land Observation Satellite (ALOS).
In these projects, JAXA will provide ADB and UNESCO with technical assistance at the field activities, precipitation data free of charge and elevation information of land surface by ALOS data (*).
[Cooperative Project with ADB]
On July 5, 2012, JAXA and ADB signed the Partnership Agreement of the technical assistance project "Applying Remote Sensing Technology in River Basin Management", under their Letter of Intent which was signed two years ago.
Under the agreement, ADB will conduct required operations in Bangladesh, Vietnam and the Philippines, in cooperation with JAXA and the Government of Japan, to ;
1. Develop an early flood forecasting system using rainfall data in upper river basins (Global Satellite Mapping of Precipitation (GSMaP)) through TRMM and other satellites, and also with elevation information of land surface by ALOS.
2. Develop early alert (warning) system of flood information using existing mobile/smart phone networks for agencies and the residents (local communities) of areas to be affected.
3. Support these countries for improved/enhanced capacity of utilizing/mainaining above technologies.
To achieve these, JAXA will support ADB by providing technical and management assistances, GSMaP data, and by developing elevation information of land surface by ALOS data (*).
[Cooperative Project with UNESCO]
On March 1, 2012, JAXA and UNESCO signed the Implementation Partners Agreement for the project "Strategic Strengthening of Flood Warning and Management Capacity of Pakistan".
After the worst flood in Pakistan’s history in 2010, it is necessary to improve the flood forecasting and the warning capacity. UNESCO will conduct required operation in Pakistan, in cooperation with The International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM), Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD), and Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO), to;
1. Strengthen the capacity for flood forecasting and flood hazard mapping.
2. Develop the platform to share information among parties concerned.
3. Support capacity building in Pakistan.
To achieve these, JAXA will support UNESCO by providing technical assistances and GSMaP data, and by developing elevation information of land surface, visually presented land surface images, and map of flood area in 2010 by ALOS data (*) .
(*) ADB provides the cost of purchasing of ALOS data in the project with ADB. UNESCO provides the cost of purchasing of ALOS data in the project with UNESCO.